Sunday, April 5, 2009

Athletes and Sleep

As an athlete are you getting enough sleep at night? Research has been done at Standford University by Cheri Mah on six healthy Standford men's basketball players concerning their performance and sleep. The players got extra sleep over a two week period and the results showed that they ran faster and made more free throws than what they did when they slept on their own typical routine. The athletes in the study also added that they had an increased energy and improved mood during games and practices.

This study helps show that maybe extra sleep for athletes can help improve performance. Cheri Mah argues that alot of studies focus on sleep deprivation and athletic performance. She explains that very little research has been done on how extra sleep can improve performance. For more information on the study visit here:
http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/news/20070613/more-sleep-boosts-athletic-performance

I am an athlete and I know that at times during the season with everything going on with classes, school work, practices and games it can be so hard to get enough sleep at night. There just seems to not be enough hours in the day to get everything done. I have noticed though throughout my four year career that if you eat correctly and have great time manage and try to get ahead on work you can fit in some extra hours of sleep. During the season and when we have games I always try to sleep more and go to bed early. The season can have a huge toll on your body and getting the rest it needs and eating correctly I believe can definitely help out how you play. Experts have recommended that adults get 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night to maintain good health and to stay on top of everything. My advice to all athletes is to try to balance everything out and put in a few more hours of sleep in each week.

6 comments:

  1. I know for a fact that i don't get enough sleep. And i know it effects my performance in everything, not just my workouts. I have to wonder though, is it only increasing sleep over night? or does napping help or make it worse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with sleep having some type of effect on you and your body. As a speaking athlete, I do notive enhanced performances when I get the right amount of sleep. When you're tired, you're just not that into anything and can't get motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im also an athlete and I try and get as much sleep possible before a competition or even sometimes at practice. It can be hard especially if you live with roomates who are not athletes and dont have to stay in fridays. I have had many times where I couldnt sleep and was up all night because of noise in the dorms and competed terribly the next day. I definatly can tell the difference when I get alot of sleep as oppose to no sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I happen to live and plan around my sleep patterns. With that said, I still don't always get the amount I want. It does get busy with classes, job, work, and extracurriculars. That was one of the reasons I chose not to participate in varsity sports in college. I would much rather get my studying and take a nap or two because I definatley notice the difference when I don't. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with your blog. I can tell i do better in my lacrosse games when i go to bed early the night before. I also wonder if naps help the energy levels too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the age old question, how much sleep is enough? How much sleep might be to much sleep is all so a good question. Alot of times people get overly tired from maybe a accumlation of days and then sleep in on the weekends for say 10 hours then wake up feeling tired still. Where is that balance?

    ReplyDelete